Monday, August 4, 2014

This Monday we had a Zone Leader Meeting in the Mission Home. (photo with Elder Molina) Dan Brown, a former singles ward bishop to whom Pres. Ayre served as a counselor, spoke to us through FaceTime. He works as a professional motivator for $25,000/hour. Elder Molina and I went to lunch with President, his wife, the Office couple (The Lines), the office elders and the assistants. Pres. and Sis. Ayre came to our apartments and said that the apartment of Elder Mason and I was "one of the best maintained in the mission." I was pretty proud.

This Sunday we had the baptism of Ezequiel, a friend of David who was baptized a few weeks ago. (photo Pres. Valente of the Elder's Quorum, David, Ezequiel, me, Elder Mason. bottom: Hairo, Leo) We learned, that Gabriela and her family didn't really want the missionaries, and were hard-core evangelicals. Now they tell us that they understand the scriptures better than they ever had before, despite being raised by pastors and having read the Bible all their life. We were reading the Book of Mormon with David and a bunch of his friends, and he was the only one who was on top of everything that was going on. I've seen this my whole mission. It is a testimony that this is the authority to baptize and give the Holy Ghost, and that the Holy Ghost is as fully functional as it was in the times of the Primitive Church.

 73 Immediately on our coming up out of the water after we had been baptized, we experienced great and glorious blessings from our Heavenly Father. No sooner had I baptized Oliver Cowdery, than the Holy Ghost fell upon him, and he stood up and prophesied many things which should shortly come to pass. And again, so soon as I had been baptized by him, I also had the spirit of prophecy,
when, standing up, I prophesied concerning the rise of this Church, and many other things connected with the Church, and this generation of the children of men. We were filled with the Holy
Ghost, and rejoiced in the God of our salvation.
 74 Our minds being now enlightened, we began to have the scriptures laid open to our understandings, and the true meaning and intention of their more mysterious passages revealed unto us in a manner which we never could attain to previously, nor ever before had thought of. In the meantime we were forced to keep
secret the circumstances of having received the Priesthood and our having been baptized, owing to a spirit of persecution which had already manifested itself in the neighborhood.
​ ​
(JSH 1​:73-74​)
 
I've realized that we as missionaries don't really do very much, and what can we do? The more I work, the more I realize we don't have a clue what we're really doing. I cannot deny that the Spirit guides this work. This is not our work.

Elder Molina and I 

Pres. Valente of the Elder's Quorum, David, Ezequiel, me, Elder Mason. bottom: Hairo, Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment